Wednesday, April 16, 2008

McCain on Foreign Policy

http://www.cfr.org/publication/14336/john_mccains_speech_on_foreign_policy.html

This article which is John McCain’s speech on his stance of Foreign Policy. There are a couple of things that I would like to address here. The first thing that I would like to talk about is John McCain’s stance of the war in Iraq. This is a very important issue in the upcoming election and it could be the deciding factor if in-fact John McCain does get elected or if Barack Obama or Hilary Clinton gets the nomination as president. McCain stated in his speech that as president, he would bring the U.S Army and Marines forces from the currently planned level of roughly 750,000 troops to an even more amount to 900,000. I agree with McCain on a lot of his issues but this one issue I strongly disagree with him. I feel that with McCain’s current plan that there is no possible way of getting that many troops without having some sort of draft, and that if there was to be a draft that someone such as me would be someone going to the Middle East and quite frankly that scares me to death. This might be an issue that swings a lot of voters away from McCain and especially young voters because they don’t want to vote for someone who might but in a draft in which they would have to serve.

Also, I think that McCain’s history as being a solider for this country has a very big impact on his views. I get the idea that McCain thinks that a good amount of young men and women want to serve for this country and I don’t think that is very true. I believe most young men and women are more concerned with completing their college education than about serving in the military.

No comments: